Swing trading is buying low and selling high in a short span of time. Some traders do it Intraday called as day traders and some take position for a few days.
Swing trading combines fundamental and technical analysis in order to find the stocks direction from the current position. Swing traders do not look for only up direction, if they feel the stock may go down they short them. All they are looking for is short momentum.
When they see the stock is not poised to move they do not take the trade. The benefit of swing trading is efficient use of time and money and higher returns. However their are drawbacks as well like high brokerage commission and high losses if their trade goes wrong.
Swing trading can be difficult for the average retail trader who is not equipped with either technical or fundamental knowledge. Some of the good technical indicators are Bollinger Bands, Candlesticks, moving averages, Average True Range – ATR etc.
Using the above indicators a trader finds quickly if a stock has the potential to move up or down. Based on this they are able to take the trade.
Please note that swing trading is not intraday trading, its short-term stock movement trading. It is usually taken for a few days with proper stop loss. Of course it is better to hedge a position. I personally do not recommend trading without a hedge. The only trade that you should take without a hedge is equity cash buy-hold-sell. By the way equity cash buy-hold-sell is not trading, its investing even if its taken for one second or many years.
Benefit of awing trading is that you do not have to follow trend. Swing trading is to find out short term moves which are independent of the trend. For example a stock may be going down for 2-3 months, but a good swing trader will find out the short term support and buy the stock for short term. When the stock bounces back, the swing trader benefits and exits the stock.
Most swing traders hold the stock overnight or a few weeks, rarely it goes beyond 30 days. To minimize risk position size is very important. The risk word is very important here. For example if the trader is 60% sure the trade will go through, they may increase the lot size compared to a trade where they are 50% sure. This is pure professional trading.
What is the philosophy of Swing Trading:
Every stock goes through four stages of movement:
1. Base Stage – Trending and moving in almost straight line – here both buyers and sellers are same so stock does not move much.
2. Advancing Stage – Some good news has come in, or the company performance is better then market expectation. Now the stock goes into second stage – it starts to move up. Swing trader buys the stock in this stage.
3. The Top Stage – After an up-move buyers starts to decline and the stock surge stops. This is knows an topping out. Here the stock will decline some and rise some giving a head and shoulders pattern. This is signal that the stock will fall. Here is where the swing trader will sell and book profit in the stock.
4. The Falling Stage – Sellers increase and the stock falls and goes into a downtrend.
See this image you will understand the different stages of a swing:
After the consolidation (Stage 1) – the breakout starts (Stage 2), this is where the Swing Trader enters the position. This can be anywhere from the rising trend. Good Swing traders do not get caught at the tops. Stage 2 is where most good swing traders enter when the uptrend is confirmed.
How Is the Uptrend Confirmed?
When a stock is in an uptrend its close will be above the previous close with increased volume day by day. If this happens for a few days then the trend is confirmed. This is the place where a swing trader enters.
How Is the Downtrend Confirmed?
Its exact opposite of uptrend. The stock will close below the previous close for a few days and the volume will also decrease. This is the time for a swing trader to exit and take out profits.
Do not forget that this cycle is will repeat.
Experienced swing traders keep on radar 4 or 5 stocks only as it becomes difficult to keep a watch on more than 10 stocks.
Within three months they become well aware of the average volume in the stock, support and resistant levels of the stock. After six months the stock makes a new support and resistant levels.
Please note that its very rare that swing traders enter Stage 2 at the best point and exit at Stage 3 at the best point – but its about making profits. They have a target in mind and if that is achieved they exit the stock.
Are you a swing trader? What are the problems you face?
You Can Read More On My Site
What you should do now1. If you have still not subscribed for my free 5 days course you can do by filling the form above. You will learn a lot about option trading.
2. If you are a new option trader, not much experienced and are making losses you can do my paid course. I recommend Nifty Conservative Option Course for beginners because it is easy to understand and easy to trade. Even a 18 year old young trader or a housewife can learn it and start trading from next day. It will help you to earn consistent monthly income without any software or speculation or stress or big risk. You will learn proper hedging strategies that works in any market condition.
3. If you are banknifty weekly options trader you can do my Bank Nifty Weekly Options & Futures Strategy Course. You will learn future and option hedging strategies that works in volatile market condition.
TestimonialsWhat Traders Say About My Course
Course fees: Click here to know the course fees.
Here is complete process of my course1. Once you pay I will send you the course materials for studying to your email.
2. You read and ask me questions via phone/whatsapp/email to clear doubts.
3. Then you start paper trading and still can ask me questions.
4. After about one month you can start trading.
5. Since doubts can come anytime the support will be there for one year.
Within one month you can start trading on your own. No need to depend on anyone once you are on your own.
If you have any question you can contact me.
You can read about me here and my trading mistakes here.
Dilip Shaw, Founder
INCOME DISCLAIMER: Any references in this site of income made by the traders are given to me by them either through Email or WhatsApp as a Thank You message. However every trade depends on the trader and his level of risk taking capability, knowledge and experience. Moreover stock market investments and trading are subject to market risks. Therefore there is no guarantee that everyone will achieve the same or similar results. My aim is to make you a better & disciplined trader with the stock trading and investing education and strategies you get from this website. Please note that I DO NOT give tips or advisory services by SMS, Email, or WhatsApp or any other form of social media. I strictly adhere to laws of my country. I only offer education on finance, investments on stock markets in the best possible way as much as I can through this website. Still, you must consult an authorized advisor or do thorough research before investing in any stock or derivative before trading any strategy given in this website. I am not responsible for any investment decision you take after reading any article given in this website. Knowledge is the only way to get success in stock markets. I try my best to give stock market investing and trading knowledge through the articles posted in this website. Thanks for visiting my website.