Well to start with frankly I do not like intraday trading. The reasons are plenty. Here are a few:
1. You cannot keep your legs on two boats and sail through. You are likely to fall down. What I mean is if you have a job and you trade intraday too then it gets hard to manage both job and intraday trading. If you get caught then you may lose your job. Well it has happened to me.
2. Too much brokerage. Even if you make some day profits and some day loss – the brokerage will take away 20% of your profits and increase the loss by 30%. Effectively even if you are a good intraday trader you will be left with very less money.
3. Intraday trading cannot be compounded. I read in moneycontrol a long time back that one trader traded with Rs.50,000/- intraday equity cash scalping, even today he is trading with the same amount. When asked why he is not increasing the trading amount – the answer given was obvious – FEAR. Think yourself – can you trade with 10 lakh rupees intraday? If no, then its clear intraday is not a long solution to trading.
4. Non directional trading is not possible in intraday trading. Positional trading can be directional or non-directional depending on traders skills and knowledge. But even if you want to become a non-directional day trader, it almost impossible to become a intraday non-directional day trader. So basically you have to see all the charts and choose among hundreds of stocks to figure out which stock to trade intraday and then take a call. All this while siting in your office where anytime your boss can come in your cabin and catch you trading stock markets and not doing your job.
This is the reason I always advocate trading positional with hedge trading which you can trade anytime you want and leave for the day.
However if you are doing intraday trading it is very important to keep a stop loss. But most traders do not know where to keep a stop loss.
In this article I will discuss some ideas on where to keep a stop loss. Note that if you are a trader you must give more important to stop loss than to profits. If you can limit your loss chances are high that over time you will make profits.
Here are some tips to help you decide the stop loss place:
1. For low-volatile stocks keep stop loss near and for high-volatile stocks keep stop loss at a distance.
2. If you have decided to keep stop loss at 5 points then the profit should be at 10 points i.e. doable points of stop loss.
3. If using a trading software for support or resistance – it is better to keep stops lower than support level given by the trading software or above the resistance if you have shorted the stock.
4. Do not take stops too wide or too tight. Count in terms of money what you may lose. Don’t keep a stop where you are afraid of being hit but do not keep very close either. Take a balanced view.
5. Whatever the condition never trade without a stop loss.
Bottomline to remember:
Remember this – wider stop loss will be hit less often but will take out a lot of money if it gets hit. Tighter stop loss will be hit more often but they will keep the loss smaller.
If you are a trader with a lot of money you may choose to keep wider stops, and if you are trading with less money you cannot afford to lose then trade with tighter stop loss.
A tighter stop loss will allow you to trade multiple times while a wider stop loss will allow you to trade only once a day.
Hope this article will help you to take better stop loss decisions.
If you have any questions please ask in the comments section below.
You Can Read More On My Site
Hi, I am Dilip Shaw, owner of this website. I am a trader like you. I have been trading since 2007, but lost a lot of money till 2010. I then stopped trading and studied options like college exams. Started trading again from 2011 and never looked back since. I did a lot of research, read books and did countless paper-trading before being profitable. You can read about me here.
My conservative trading course since 2014 is helping many retail traders just like you who have a job or business make consistent profits like this:
What Traders Say About This Course
Testimonials Year 2015
Testimonials Year 2015 Page 2
Testimonials Year 2015 & 2016
Testimonials Year 2016
Testimonials Year 2017
Testimonials Year 2018
Testimonials Year 2019
Testimonials Year 2020 to 2023
What People Say Just After Reading My Course
Emotional Testimonial by a Young Woman Trader and Her Mother
One Of My Client Is Making Rs.25k Per Week
Difference Between Other Courses And Mine
What Others Charge for Courses
You can do this course from your home. Some traders make amazing profits like Rs. 16.26 lakhs profit in 5 days though results may differ for all.
This course helps you learn to trade conservative option strategies for monthly income. Once you finish the course you can start trading immediately. You can start trading from any day. No need to wait for expiry. You will make profits consistently.
This course is good if you have a regular job or business. You DO NOT NEED to monitor your trades every second.
What You Get?
Before reading please understand that for all 5 strategies, strike selection will be taught. Strike selection while trading Options is the most essential part to succeed.
You get two conservative non-directional strategies on options, one conservative stock option strategy and two conservative directional strategies on Future & Option combination.
Non directional trades are profitable 80% of the times and make 3-5% per trade (Results may vary).
Directional strategy makes money fast. It does not matter which side the stock moves. In fact you make more when you are wrong in the Future trade. 🙂 Some amazing profits possible here.
The stock option trade makes 30,000 in one trade and if SL is hit there is a way to recover losses plus make 30k in that trade.
Technical knowledge is NOT required. No need to monitor trades every second.
In the course you will learn how to select the strike prices. You learn when to trade, which strikes to sell which to buy, how much profit target you should be looking for, the best place to take stop loss and what to do after taking stop loss – means how to get that money back. The success rate is more than 80%.
Since trades are properly hedged there is no stress in trading my strategies.
I am very confident that you will make money trading my strategies. To help you succeed I offer few months support for FREE.
11 Reasons Why You Should Do The Course:
1. TA Knowledge NOT required
2. NO Software Required
3. Regular Monitoring NOT Required
4. Continue with Your Job
5. Do Course From Your Home
6. 100% Hedged
7. Stress-Free Trading
8. Not too much money needed to trade
9. Scaling Possible
10. One Time Fee
11. FREE Support For Months
To know more Call/SMS/WhatsApp me on 9051143004 or email me now. I know English and Hindi.
Read the details of the course here.
If you want to enroll for the course you can do so here.
P.S: So many years of trading has thought me one thing - it is always better to make small profits month after month, rather than lose money month after month trying to make too much money. It never happens. But small money accumulated month after month can become very big in only a few years.
WhatsApp or Call me: 9051143004
If you have any question you can contact me.
You can read about me here and my trading mistakes here.
Dilip Shaw, Founder
Copyright Infringement: Any act of copying, reproducing or distributing any content in the site or newsletters, whether wholly or in part, for any purpose without my permission is strictly prohibited and shall be deemed to be copyright infringement.
INCOME DISCLAIMER: Any references in this site of income made by the traders are given to me by them either through Email or WhatsApp as a Thank You message. However every trade depends on the trader and his level of risk taking capability, knowledge and experience. Moreover stock market investments and trading are subject to market risks. Therefore there is no guarantee that everyone will achieve the same or similar results. My aim is to make you a better & disciplined trader with the stock trading and investing education and strategies you get from this website.
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an Investment Adviser (IA). I am an Authorized Person (AP) of a Stock Broker. In other words I am a sub-broker. I DO NOT give tips or advisory services by SMS, Email, or WhatsApp or any other forms of social media. I strictly adhere to laws of my country. I only offer education for free on finance, risk management & investments in stock markets through the articles in this website. You must consult an authorized Investment Adviser (IA) or do thorough research before investing in any stock or derivative using any strategy given in this website. I am not responsible for any investment decision you take after reading any article in this website. Click here to read the disclaimer in full.