Hope you remember I trade mutual funds as well. Trading mutual funds is very easy way to make money. You just need to decide how much money you need to allocate from which fund to which fund. And when time comes, book your profits.
You should know that there are two types of funds – equity and debt. Well there are more types of funds, but to know what I do, you just need to know these two type of funds.
Now read this article on how to trade mutual funds written on September 8, 2015. At that time Nifty was down by about 8-9% from its recent high of 8500. It was trading at around 7550 levels. I saw a great opportunity and traded my mutual fund. And also wrote an email to inform you about the trade I took.
Well in short I “Switched” a significant portion of my money in liquid fund to a pure blue chip equity fund – ICICI Prudential Focused Bluechip Equity Fund. Obviously the idea was to take benefit of the low levels of Nifty and book profits when it goes up.
Well today, after 42 days in the trade, I booked profit. I shifted all cash from the equity fund back to the debt fund – essentially locking my profits.
What Was My Gain?
Assuming today Nifty closes at same level or above the previous day – on a annualized basis the profit is 68.51%. Point to point return is 6.5%. My original plan was to book profit at 10% but I changed my plan due to the following reasons:
1. Bihar elections are coming – anything may happen. I do not want these profits to go.
2. 6.5% came in 42 days – that’s really cool. Liquid fund gives me a return of 9% in 365 days. 6.5% in 42 days is free money compared to 9% in 365 if I did not used the opportunity. I am OK with this.
3. If Nifty moves up I can always shift part of profits of other equity mutual funds back to liquid funds – so Nifty going up is not an issue.
4. Nifty is up by almost 9% since the last 42 days – the speed is quite good and I feel its going to be stable for quite some time now. And if equities are stable there are no profits – but there is always profit in the liquid funds. Waiting more means I will waste my time with this fund. This was not acceptable.
For the above reasons I booked the profit.
Lessons To Learn
Nifty gave a return of 9%, but my fund gave a return of only 6.5%. I got unlucky here – had I shifted my funds to a fund that follows Nifty my gained would have been 9% too. Next time this will not happen. I will shift funds to a fund that follows Index. That way I know when to exit looking at levels of Nifty rather depend on the fund manager. On top of that the exit load of Index funds is much less than that of pure equity funds.
Note: I usually shift my funds to Index funds only – but this time got greedy and paid the price. 🙂 6.5% is good but 9% is better especially if it takes the same time and effort. The only thing that needed to change was my decision.
Can This Make Significant Income?
Well overtime YES. I have been doing this for the last 3 years with significant results. Remember that I do this with only a portion of my cash in the funds. That portion is still significant. In 3 years time the same % portion has now doubled. Agreed Nifty too rallied a lot last year but remember that debt funds do not rally. They give the same return irrespective of how equities are behaving. Compound this and you have a huge fund to manage. The idea is to accumulate wealth – I don’t care from where it is coming. The color of money will always be green. 🙂
Lets say it only adds 2% per year on my whole mutual fund portfolio since I trade this in only on a part of my funds.
A 12% compounded return on 100,000.00 invested every year in 20 years will become 8,069,873.55.
A 14% compounded return on 100,000.00 invested every year in 20 years will become 10,376,841.75.
That’s Rs. 23,06,968.00 (23+ lakhs) more for just taking a decision and pressing a few buttons on my Laptop sitting in my home. In other words its also making more than 16,000 per month for the next 20 years without any extra work. Isn’t it a nice pay cheque for almost no work?
Remember I am only calculating this on an investment of 1 lakh every year. If you invest more it can make a very significant impact on your total portfolio in a matter of few years.
And one more thing. There are no liquidity issues here. Just trade whenever you want to.
Nifty again falling to 7600 odd levels, I will again take the risk. 🙂
Can You Get Stuck?
Yes of course. Nifty may take a lot of time to give 8-10% return, but who cares? Why? Because I am only trading a part of my liquid funds – the rest of the money is still making 9%. If I need cash I can take it out from the pool of cash in liquid funds. And wait for the equity portion to come in profits.
Was I Always Profitable?
Yes. 100% of the time. Because Nifty never had a great fall in last 3 years. Well it may fall a lot in future but like I said if proper risk management is in place you really do not care.
You Can Read More On My Site
What you should do now1. If you have still not subscribed for my free 5 days course you can do by filling the form above. You will learn a lot about option trading.
2. If you are a new option trader, not much experienced and are making losses you can do my paid course. I recommend Nifty Conservative Option Course for beginners because it is easy to understand and easy to trade. Even a 18 year old young trader or a housewife can learn it and start trading from next day. It will help you to earn consistent monthly income without any software or speculation or stress or big risk. You will learn proper hedging strategies that works in any market condition.
3. If you are banknifty weekly options trader you can do my Bank Nifty Weekly Options & Futures Strategy Course. You will learn future and option hedging strategies that works in volatile market condition.
TestimonialsWhat Traders Say About My Course
Course fees: Click here to know the course fees.
Here is complete process of my course1. Once you pay I will send you the course materials for studying to your email.
2. You read and ask me questions via phone/whatsapp/email to clear doubts.
3. Then you start paper trading and still can ask me questions.
4. After about one month you can start trading.
5. Since doubts can come anytime the support will be there for one year.
Within one month you can start trading on your own. No need to depend on anyone once you are on your own.
If you have any question you can contact me.
You can read about me here and my trading mistakes here.
Dilip Shaw, Founder
INCOME DISCLAIMER: Any references in this site of income made by the traders are given to me by them either through Email or WhatsApp as a Thank You message. However every trade depends on the trader and his level of risk taking capability, knowledge and experience. Moreover stock market investments and trading are subject to market risks. Therefore there is no guarantee that everyone will achieve the same or similar results. My aim is to make you a better & disciplined trader with the stock trading and investing education and strategies you get from this website. Please note that I DO NOT give tips or advisory services by SMS, Email, or WhatsApp or any other form of social media. I strictly adhere to laws of my country. I only offer education on finance, investments on stock markets in the best possible way as much as I can through this website. Still, you must consult an authorized advisor or do thorough research before investing in any stock or derivative before trading any strategy given in this website. I am not responsible for any investment decision you take after reading any article given in this website. Knowledge is the only way to get success in stock markets. I try my best to give stock market investing and trading knowledge through the articles posted in this website. Thanks for visiting my website.